If you’re planning on enlisting in the Army, Air Force, Marines, Navy, or the Coast Guard you will need to take the ASVAB, which stands for Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery. This exam is actually a group of several different tests, and it’s one of the most famous and common aptitude tests in the entire world. Over the years, millions of Americans have taken the exam, and experts continue to refine and improve the test every year.
America’s military leaders rely on the exam to help match recruits to the right job in their organizations. Because it costs so much to train a person for these jobs, and because each job in the military is vital to keeping America safe, it’s very important that time and money isn’t wasted trying to train someone for a position they don’t have the aptitude for. The ASVAB group of tests is very good at determining which recruits are right for which positions.
There are nine different parts of the test: General Science, Arithmetic Reasoning, Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension, Mathematics Knowledge, Electronics Information, Automotive and Shop Information, Mechanical Comprehension, Assembling Objects, and Verbal Expression. It takes about three hours for a person to complete all nine sections of the exam.
Each section is scored separately, and each section is important. However, there are four sections which count more heavily than the other five – Paragraph Comprehension, Word Knowledge, Arithmetic Reasoning, and Mathematics Knowledge. Together, these scores are used to come up with what’s called the Armed Forces Qualification Test (AFQT). This is a measure of general intelligence, and scores can range from 0 to 99. The number represents the percentage of people who did worse on the ASVAB. For example, someone who receives a score of 90 did better than 90% of all the people who took the test.
Each branch of the military sets its own minimum AFQT scores, and some are higher than others. However, if a person’s AFQT score is too low, then no branch of the military will accept him, no matter how well he did on any of the other five parts of the exam. So getting a high AFQT score is extremely important for anyone who hopes for a military career. Getting a great score can be a challenge, but with hard work and the right study aids it can be achieved.
1. Four friends go shopping. They purchase items that cost $6.66 and $159.23. If they split the cost evenly, how much will each friend have to pay?
2. A couple plans to buy a car. They have $569 in a joint bank account. The man has $293 in additional cash and the woman has $189. What is the most expensive car they will be able to afford?
3. Solitary most nearly means
4. Soiled most nearly means
5. Weddings put a substantial amount of stress on the bride, the groom, and their families. There is a large amount of planning that goes into a wedding, but the expenses are the major source of grief. The cake, the dress, and meals must all be purchased. The hall must be rented, the dj hired, and the invitations bought. By the time all is said and done, even a relatively simple wedding can cost in excess of $10,000. The main idea expressed in the passage is
weddings are stressful.
weddings require a lot of planning.
weddings are a source of grief.
weddings are expensive.
6. North America is currently dealing with a crisis. People have accumulated substantial amounts of debt. While consumers are partially to blame, much of the blame lies with the companies who actually granted the credit to consumers. This crisis wouldn’t have happened if loans were not granted to people who could not afford them. Many people in North America are in debt because
they choose not to pay their debts.
they borrowed money they couldn’t repay.
companies refused to grant credit.
they dealt with serious personal crises.
7. Knowing how to perform CPR properly can save another person’s life. If you come across someone who is in trouble, call 911 right away. Then, lay them on their back. Next, open their airway by raising the chin. After this, but before beginning mouth to mouth, spend a few moments to determine whether they are breathing. If not, mouth to mouth and chest compressions will be necessary. Before checking to see whether a person is breathing
open their airway.
begin mouth to mouth.
learn how to perform CPR.
begin chest compressions.
8. What is the volume of a rectangular with a height of 10cm, a length of 5cm, and a width of 6cm?
9. What is the midpoint of point A (6, 20) and point B (10, 40)?
10. If 5x + 60 = 75, what is the value of x?
1. C: Find the total cost of the items: $6.66 + $159.23 = $165.89
Then, calculate how much each individual will owe: $165.89 / 4 = $41.47
2. D: Calculate the total amount of money the couple has available to spend, which is the amount in the joint bank account and the amount that each has: $569 + $293 + $189 = $1051
3. A: Solitary can mean a number of different things, but one meaning is single. For example, if you said there was a solitary tree in a yard, you would mean that there was a single tree.
4. A: Something that is soiled is stained or dirty. When somebody says their clothing is soiled, it is the same as saying their clothing is dirty.
5. D: The main idea discussed in the passage is that weddings are expensive. The author states that the expense of a wedding is a major source of stress. Then, the author discusses many of the expenses involved, finally providing an example of the high cost of a simple wedding.
6. B: According to the passage, many people are in debt in North America because they borrowed money they could not afford to repay. The passage states that “much of the blame lies with the companies who actually granted the credit to consumers. This debt crisis wouldn’t have happened if loans were not granted to people who could not afford them.”
7. A: The person’s airway should be opened before checking whether they are breathing. The passage advises the rescuer to “open their airway by raising the chin. After this, but before beginning mouth to mouth, spend a few moments to determine whether they are breathing.” Mouth to mouth and chest compressions are only done if the person is not breathing.
8. D: To find the volume of a rectangle, the formula is length * width * height. Therefore, for this rectangle volume = 10cm * 5cm * 6cm The volume of this rectangle is 300cm3
9. C: To calculate the midpoint of a line, find the sum of the points and divide by two. For x, the midpoint can be calculated as follows: 6 + 10 = 16 16/2 = 8 For y, the midpoint can be calculated as follows: 40 + 20 = 60 60/2 = 30 Therefore, the midpoint is (8, 30)
10. A: First, subtract 60 from both sides to isolate x: 5x + 60 – 60 = 75 – 60 5x = 15 Then, divide both sides by 5 to solve for x: 5x/5 = 15/5 x = 3