The CHPN exam is a challenging and comprehensive assessment for men and women seeking to join the ranks of hospice and palliative nurses. In order to sit for the exam, a candidate must have a current, unrestricted registered nurse license in the United States or Canada.
The exam consists of 150 multiple-choice questions, each of which has four possible answers. Fifteen of the questions on the exam, impossible to identify, do not contribute to the final score but will be used to create future versions of the exam.
The content of the CHPN exam is divided into seven domains:
1. The domain related to life-limiting conditions in adult patients (14 percent of the exam) focuses on identification and response to indicators of immediate death, specific patterns of progression, complications, and treatment.
2. The section on pain management (25 percent) covers assessment, pharmacological interventions, nonpharmacological and complementary interventions, and evaluation.
3. The symptom management domain (27 percent) includes questions on 12 body systems: neurological; cardiovascular; respiratory; gastrointestinal; genitourinary; musculoskeletal; skin and mucous membrane; psychosocial, emotional, and spiritual; nutritional and metabolic; immune and lymphatic; and mental status.
4. The domain related to care of patient and family (11 percent) covers resource management; psychosocial, spiritual, and cultural care; and grief and loss.
5. The CHPN exam domain on education and advocacy (9 percent) includes questions related to caregiver support.
6. The interdisciplinary and collaborative practice section (8 percent) covers coordination, supervision, and cooperation.
7. Professional issues (6 percent) addresses practice issues and professional development.
CHPN Study Guide
Start learning how to be successful on your CHPN exam. Our CHPN study guide is guaranteed to help you get the results you deserve on your CHPN test. Some test takers prefer to study using flashcards and so we have created the best CHPN flashcards that cover everything you need to know for the CHPN exam. Note that using multiple study aids will help you maximize the benefit from your study time.