The RD exam, formally known as the Registration Examination for Dietitians, is a challenging and comprehensive assessment for men and women who wish to enter this exciting and fast-paced field of health care. This exam is developed by the Commission on Dietetic Registration in consultation with an expert team of exam administrators.
The exam includes a minimum of 125 multiple-choice questions, 25 of which are pretest questions used to develop future versions of the exam. Pretest questions do not contribute to the final score and are impossible to identify. The exam takes approximately three hours to complete.
The content of the RD exam is divided into five content domains:
- The food and nutrition sciences domain (12 percent of the exam) covers food science, the nutrient composition of foods, nutrition, and supporting sciences.
- The section on nutrition care process and model – complex conditions (40 percent) addresses food science, the nutrient composition of foods, nutrition, and supporting sciences.
- Counseling, communication, education, and research (10 percent) includes nutrition screening, assessment, diagnosis, intervention, monitoring, and evaluation.
- The food-service systems domain (17 percent) covers menu planning; procurement, production, distribution, and service; sanitation and safety; and facility planning.
- The section on management (21 percent) addresses human resources, finance and materials, marketing products and services, functions and characteristics, and quality improvement.
Exam scores are available immediately upon completion. The score report includes a scaled score and an indication of the minimum passing scaled score. Candidates will also receive two individual scores for the first three and last two content domains. The scaled score is created by taking the raw score (the number of questions answered correctly) and placing it on a scale of 1 to 50 with a formula that takes into account the relative difficulty of the RD exam version.
RD Study Guide
Start learning how to be successful on your RD exam. Our RD study guide is guaranteed to help you get the results you deserve on your RD test. Some test takers prefer to study using flashcards and so we have created the best RD flashcards that cover everything you need to know for the RD exam. Note that using multiple study aids will help you maximize the benefit from your study time.