The RPSGT Exam, formally known as the Registered Polysomnographic Technologist Exam, is a comprehensive and challenging assessment for men and women looking to enter this rewarding and fast-paced field of health care. The test is developed by the Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists in consultation with an expert team of test administrators.
The exam consists of 200 multiple-choice questions, 50 of which are pretest items that do not count toward the final score. Pretest questions, which will be impossible to identify, are used to develop future versions of the exam. The RPSGT Exam has five domains:
- In the pre-study procedures domain (15 percent of the exam), questions address tasks that include selecting equipment and montage, collecting and reviewing paperwork, applying sensors, and educating patients.
- The study performance domain (25 percent) requires knowledge of equipment calibration, documentation during testing, identification and response to data issues, and identification and response to patient needs.
- The RPSGT Exam section on therapeutic intervention (25 percent) covers assessing the need for treatment and intervention, titrating PAP and oxygen, and troubleshooting.
- In the post-study procedures domain (10 percent), the candidate will need to know how to remove, clean, and disinfect sensors and interfaces; perform patient discharge procedures; and summarize and store data.
- The scoring and data analysis section of the exam (25 percent) requires knowledge of staging sleep and arousal, scoring respiratory events, scoring movements, scoring cardiac, identifying waveform variations and artifacts, generating reports, and archiving data.
The official RPSGT Exam score report includes both the raw and scaled score. The raw score (the number of questions answered correctly) is placed on a scale, ranging from 200 to 500, using a formula that takes into account the relative difficulty of the exam version. The minimum passing score is 350.
RPSGT Study Guide
Start learning how to be successful on your RPSGT exam. Our RPSGT study guide is guaranteed to help you get the results you deserve on your RPSGT test. Some test takers prefer to study using flashcards and so we have created the best RPSGT flashcards that cover everything you need to know for the RPSGT exam. Note that using multiple study aids will help you maximize the benefit from your study time.
RPSGT Study Guide